Friday, April 13, 2007

Writing, Music, and Crawfish Bread

Today was a beautiful day in New Orleans. Just about 70-degrees, a light breeze, and plenty of sunshine. That's why halfway through my normal two-and-a-half hours of writing at Starbucks this morning, I decided to pack up and head for Woldenberg Park--this cool little area at the edge of the French Quarters that butts up against the river and is only steps from my office building. Sometimes, usually on great weather days like today, I'll sit in the park with my tablet and write longhand.

I was all set to park myself on my favorite bench, look out at the barges making their way up the Mississippi River, and write my little heart out. So, imagine my surprise when I happened upon the sights, sounds, and heavenly smells of the French Quarter Festival in full swing. I had completely forgotten it was this weekend.

So, what's a girl to do when faced with this situation?

I'm not sure what the average girl would do, but I bought myself a piece of crawfish bread (can anybody say yum!), copped a squat on the grass, and listened to the bands play. I challenge anyone to find a better way to spend your lunch hour.

Surprisingly, I was able to get a little writing done before heading into the office, but it wasn't easy to leave all that great music and tasty food.

Gosh, I love New Orleans!