Thursday, April 05, 2007

Does this make me a grown up?

Today, I was asked to go back to my old high school as a presenter for Career Day. Now, when I was in high school, those people who came in to speak to us about that vast world out there always seemed to be such...adults.

I didn't realize I was that person. An adult.

However, as I looked at the eight through eleventh grade students that made their way in and out of the classroom where I was stationed, I could tell that's how they saw me, as this adult who knew...stuff. About the world.

Totally weird.

As far as the actually Career Expo goes, I think I did pretty well. I spoke about my days of working a "real" job in the oil and gas industry, then how I eventually left my well paying job to follow my dreams of becoming a writer. I received some are you stupid, or what? looks from a few students, but for the most part, the kids thought it was cool. At least I think they did. Maybe they were just trying to appease me with their nods and smiles.