Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cruise Envy

I am suffering from a severe case of what I've dubbed "Cruise Envy".

A couple of years ago, I set sail on my first cruise aboard the magnificent Disney Wonder Cruise Ship. Ever since, I've been aching to take another cruise. I thought it would be great to do a writing cruise, whereas I sequester myself in the cabin for several hours everyday, and enjoy the great fun the cruise has to offer at night. Wouldn't that be perfect? It would. Admit it.

Lucky for me, New Orleans is a port city for Carnival Cruise Lines. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take advantage of the great last minute cruise deals they advertise constantly on their website. It's depressing. Those little emails that fill up my inbox are like tortuous pricks on my skin. They taunt me with their promises of relaxing cabins, great food and nightly fun.

Because God has a wicked sense of humor at times, I happened to see one of the cruise ships leaving port the other day as I was heading for my car in the parking garage. There the ship was, making its way down the great Mississippi with music blasting and the passengers dancing on the main deck. I assumed it was the kick-off party. I just sat on the hood of my car and smiled wistfully, envying every single person on that ship. Every. Single. Person.

There's still hope that the cruise deals will line up with a week that I'm able to take time off, and have a little extra cash to actually afford a cruise. Maybe, by the end of the year, I'll get the chance to have others envy me while they watch from the parking garage.